Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crockpotalooza

Souptacular08


I LOVE my crock pot so when I saw this one - I was excited and had to play!!!!! I would have to go ahead and share my number one crock pot recipe which I am ashamed to say is so easy I almost feel the need to post another one BUT - my kids eat this SO great and it is SO easy - you just really can't argue.

Anyway - here goes

Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole

Put as many frozen - yes I said frozen - chicken breasts as your family will eat along with at least 2 cans of Campbells Broccoli Cheese Soup (for example - I generally do three big pieces of chicken and 2 cans - sometimes 3 - we like a lot of sauce :) 
Let that cook for a while - yes I said - a while - if I put it in at naptime - I put it on low because my crockpot cooks super fast.  If I put it in after school - I put it on high but I really think it is best if it is in the crock pot for at least 4 hours. 

Now here is where your variations will come in. For example - my kids eat it better if there are not huge chunks of chicken so I pull the chicken out of the crock pot in the afternoon ( maybe hour 3 ish) and shred it up with a fork - the chicken is SO soft and easy to shred by now. Then I add in frozen broccoli. This one is also going to be a matter of taste - I need for the broccoli to be really mushy so that it will get all mixed in - you might want it to be crisper so just wait longer. Then garnish with shredded cheese, and serve over rice. Now - if I were going to feed this to grown ups - I would make my rice, put down a nice little bed of rice, put a nice chicken breast on top with pretty crisp broccoli and the great yummy sauce running over the rice and sprinkle shredded cheese on top - so pretty. I do not feed grown ups however (well I guess the BD but he really falls into the feeding the kids category) SO I add my rice and add my cheese to the crock pot and stir stir stir stir a big hot pot of broccoli rice mush - they eat and eat and eat and eat that stuff - like poor little starving urchins and - it is a nice one bowl meal - easy clean up. 

Long story short - that is my officially un-official crock pot recipe to share. 


5 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat Mortensen said...

I messed up the directions on the deleted post.

We have a very small family (Me, My husband and my Mom, usually) so for Thanksgiving I did my favourite turkey recipe in the crockpot:

1 stuffed turkey breast roast
1 jar orange/cranberry sauce (you can make your own)
salt and pepper

Grease crockpot. Put frozen turkey breast in and salt and pepper it, pour cran-orange sauce over.

Cook on LOW for 7 hours (until turkey reaches appropriate temp - use a meat thermometer!)
Or cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

Remove turkey from pot. Heat juices with one can turkey gravy and serve with your favourite veggies.

The turkey melts in your mouth!

Kat

heidi said...

Oh I'll have to try that!

Natalie said...

your recipe sounds as if i wrote it! it also sounds very yummy. guess i will have to give it a try.

Mamarazzi said...

mmmmmm we are most def gonna make this one. i don't use my slow cooker enough!!