Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Project Mommaview - Lori Diamond-Merrihew

The Mommaview
Created by Holly Oelkers


Your name:
Lori Diamond-Merrihew

Your website (if you have one):


Do you:

stay at home/work outside of the home/have some interesting combination of both?

Most of the time I perform and rehearse evenings and weekends. I'm really happy that I get to stay home during the day...as it greatly reduces the impact of my absence on my kids.

Your occupation: Mom/Homemaker & Musician

Tell us about it:

I'm a singer/songwriter/pianist...it's been my passion for as long as I've been on this planet. Creating music for a living probably isn't as glamorous as many might think. There is a ton of work involved on many levels - like any profession. What I can say is that between staying home to raise my family, and carrying a full time music schedule, I am living my dream. I also run a small record label called 5th Chakra Records. It was founded on the idea that musicians can work together to succeed as opposed to compete with one another. In my opinion, there's never a need to disempower someone else in order to get where you need to be. There is room at the top for everyone. :0)

Your occupation in a previous (before kids) life:

Hair stylist/colorist & Musician. (Most working musicians have had or do have day jobs...doing hair was my bread & butter for years).

Tell us about it:

I worked as a colorist for Matrix Essentials, and also worked in a few salons & spas. It's a great skill to have, and I still do hair for my family and a few friends.

Your education:

I joyfully studied Anthropology & Music at Umass Boston. It was a great experience but about half way through, I realized I wanted a skill to support myself. That's when I became a beauty school drop out and found myself at Blaine Hair School. I never looked back - for me, it was a great path to take.

How many kids do you have?

I have a hearty brood of 17. KIDDING!!! Actually, I have 3.

Tell us about them:

Anelise (10), Jasmine (9) and Aaron (6). They are all so different, and so wonderful. Sure, there are challenges, but being their mother has transformed me into a more loving and compassionate human being.


Do you wish you:
Stayed at home/worked outside of the home/could find some interesting combination of the two?

I think I have found exactly what I want for the time being.

Why?

I am reminded regularly, that I am good for more things than laundry. This, to me, is so helpful in keeping a positive state of mind.

Where did you meet most of your friends?

My closest friend, is from elementary school. It's like a sister relationship. I also spend time with a few close pals from my music circles. Plus, I have a couple of chums from the gym, and in my neighborhood. Overall, however, I am not hugely social. I value my alone time more than ever.

Do you feel that Mom friends are important?

Definitely! He help, support and validate each other. Plus, we all need to throttle back and just laugh together...it's such a stress reliever.

Are those friends primarily working or stay at home?

I guess mostly stay-home.

Now that you have answered those questions – why do you think that is?

I think that we, as moms, all know about the subtle tension that exists between 'employed' moms and the stay-at-homes. Everyone's trying to prove who works harder. It's just silly. Anyway, I think it's pretty simple if you subscribe to the law of attraction - like energies are simply drawn to each other.

What is the most hurtful thing another Mom has said or done to you?

A working mom-musician said to me "Well, I could perform as much as you do, but I have responsibilities"...It was purposefully insulting and obviously, I steer clear of this joyless individual.

Is there something that has been said in the media or by other Moms that makes you crazy?

Generally, I have a hard time when moms judge other moms. There are many ways to parent, and nobody is perfect.

What is the best part about your situation?

The time I'm able to spend with my kids. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

What is the worst part about your situation?

The amount of energy it takes just to get my ducks in a row so I can leave the house. It can get overwhelming.

If you could change one thing (but NOT how much money you have – most of us wish we had more money) what would it be?

I think more sleep would be far more valuable than more money! It's just so darn elusive sometimes! ;0)

Can you think of anything else that you would like for us to know about you or this subject?

I appreciate this opportunity to chat - thanks to anyone who took the time to read it. I'm just a regular gal doing the best I can. If you want to explore my music, many of my songs are inspired from parenthood. They are about being human. LoriDiamond.net has the full performance schedule and I've got my third CD coming out in just a couple of months. In any case, it has been my pleasure sharing with you today.

Peace and Light, Lori





0 comments: