Thursday, February 2, 2012

I do, I never, I might

So - I have been thinking of the "I never" philosophy. You know - when you say - "oh I NEVER...."


If there is one thing that I have learned it is never ever to say I NEVER.

I mean - if you say I NEVER - I mean - really? Can you follow through on that?

One of my oldest friends and I laugh sometimes because we remember distinctly me saying before my first child was born,



"I will NEVER let my child go with bare feet. I just don't get the whole thing with baby feet."



Fastforward 10 years and 3 babies later - ok I admit it - I get it. I have kissed my share of toes and my children have spent an enormous percentage of their lives barefoot. I totally get it. My bad.



When I married my husband, I said,



I do



I should have also said



and you know what?



I might



If you say......



I never



shovel snow or take out the trash. EVER. That is my husband's job and I REFUSE to cross that line



If your husband is in a horrific accident or has a terrible disease or a crazy week at work guess what?



You might

If you say.....

I never

let my kids eat unorganic/fast/insert whatever food horrifies you here

If you have a child get sick or you are stranded at a rest stop or you have a child that will literally only eat one color of foods (you would be amazed how often that happens)

Guess what?

You might

If you say.....

I never

ever ever ever would medicate a child for behavior issues

If you had a child who couldn't function in a classroom. Who is a danger to themselves or their family. Comes home from school crying every single day....

Guess what

You might

Luke 6:37 tells us

"Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.

It is so easy to look at what other people do and say

You Should

Oh I would never

I CANNOT believe (you know with the emphasis on the second syllable of cannot an octave higher)


I do wonder sometimes what others say about me and the way that I am living my life and raising my own but you know what - this is mine to do and my prayer for you is that you make your own decisions without worrying about the you should's and the I would never's because really - no one - no one but you - knows what it is to walk in your shoes. Even you do not know what it will be like to walk in your own shoes a month, a year, ten years from now.

Save yourself from the I never's and the you should's and go back to Kindergarten. Follow this one simple piece of advice that your teacher probably told you


Be Respectful

Be Polite

Work hard

Try harder

Be kind to your neighbor

There is so much ugliness and dissent out there - if we could all try and simplify. If we could all hear that grade school teacher's voice in our ear.

I think

It is possible

That the world could be a kinder place.


Italic






1 comments:

Lisa said...

So great! Really, really great! I love to read posts like this, it just makes me so happy.