Monday, August 29, 2011

Come on Irene!!!!!

Well - we survived our first hurricane. This has reminded me that I have pretty decent tornado and earthquake stories to tell so remind me of that the next time I can't think of what to write!!!!

The thing about a hurricane that I thougt was really creepy was it's this big creepy omninous thing. A tornado or an earthquake comes so fast. This you see coming a long way out. The news media is going CRAZY. You have family and friends that live out of state whose only info is the news media calling, texting, emailing you to buy peanut butter and charge your cell phones.


I could actually hear my mother wringing her hands on the other end of the line.

Husband and I went on our scheduled date night the night before the hurricane and there we sat with the rest of the world eating out and watching the weather channel at the bar while we waited for a table.

Something big is coming
We are not sure how big

We are not sure which areas will be the hardest hit

You will lose power for sure

Make sure you have peanut butter (I swore that if one more well meaning person or media know-it-all told me to buy peanut butter again I was going to have to do something drastic.)

Fortunately - it never came that that

But I digress
Again

and then
it came
The wind blew really hard and it rained and rained and rained and rained.
We lost power
Nothing leaked

I had to throw out the entire contents of my fridge
but you know what?

We were really really lucky. Two days without power. Some damage to trees and things in the yard. One skylight to replace that already needed to be replaced before the storm. We never had to evacuate the basement or eat spam or anything! I have friends from other areas of New England that were not so lucky and are dealing with things like weeks without power and major damage and I am grateful that the big storm was kind to us.

and now the children will be eating peanut butter sandwiches for the rest of their lives........

Anybody want a peanut butter cookie? I think I am about to make some.

;)

1 comments:

Foursons said...

What's up with telling you to buy peanut butter? That's so weird. I'm glad y'all survived and everything is back to normal.