Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A recipe, the gift that keeps on giving, and finding my center

Well first - a recipe - I sent this to some friends this morning and it seemed like decent blogging material so I decided to share it with the world (read - my 139 followers plus Facebook friends)

Below is the email that I sent:


Subject Line: Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
(taken from the Fix It and Forget It Cookbook)

Let me preface this with - try it once - don't give up on it before it has cooked. I put it in my crock pot and thought - yuk - no way my children are ever going to eat this. Then the slow cooking magic began and oh my - by the end of the day the children were throwing themselves against the countertop like dogs it smelled so good - seriously.

I have been looking for a solution because I like to make my own sauce but it is just so easy and cheap to buy good organic sauce out there and it is such a beating to make your own sauce from scratch. Well I think I have found my solution. This was easy easy easy and so good!



Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 bay leaf (I did not have - don't worry about)
4 garlic cloves minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dried basil
1 TBSP brown sugar (I actually completely forgot to put this in!)
1/2 tsp dried thyme (also omitted because I didn't have it)

Brown meat and onion in saucepan. Drain well and put in slow cooker with all other ingredients.

Anyway - enjoy!!!!!

Now on to the gift that keeps on giving. On Mothers Day we went out and got me my new super duper awesome, love a whole lot, can finally vacuum pet hair off of many different kinds of floors, light weight, no I am not being paid to advertise for Dyson, vacuum.

It turns out - it is the gift that keeps on giving because you know who has taken a real interest in it? Yep - that's right - 4 year old boy. At first I resisted - but then I decided "hey - if the little man wants to vacuum - let him vacuum".

He spent 20 MINUTES today working on the stairs - yep 20 minutes of totally concentrated little boy energy focused into a physical task that involved a gadget PLUS - he did the stairs.

Like I said - the gift that keeps on giving.







And finally - because I am feeling chatty,

I have been going to yoga twice a week and I am working hard to find my center. I know it is in there somewhere (underneath the v-neck T-shirt, zip up hoodie, mom jeans, and last 10 pounds) and I am really getting into all of this yoga stuff. Today she had us tighten up our muscles and clench and then throw all the stress and tension away and tighten and throw it away and so on and so forth. I managed to avoid the yoga giggles which I am somewhat prone to (if you are not familiar, they are a bad case of church giggles only in loose fitting clothing) and I really enjoyed myself!

Well - that's all for now

Happy Tuesday!

Holly

0 comments: